Report Says Fireworks to Blame for Polluting Water at Mount Rushmore

A government report says fireworks are to blame for contaminated water at Mount Rushmore.

The U.S. Geological Survey report says perchlorate, a common ingredient in rocket fuels and fireworks, was found in the groundwater and surface water at Mount Rushmore National Memorial.

The report says a high concentration of the chemical can cause problems with the thyroid gland, hormonal balance and metabolism.

The agency and the National Park Service say the drinking water at Mount Rushmore is safe to drink.