Community

What to Expect During Welcoming Week 2019

It runs September 13-22

FARGO, N.D. — Ten years ago, cities across the country started making more of an effort in welcoming immigrants, refugees and newcomers to the states. But it wasn’t until five years ago that Fargo–Moorhead got on board. “I can’t imagine living in a world where everybody is the same and we all do the same thing, we don’t ever learn…

Space Aliens Hosts Jeff Maddock Benefit

The benefit is part of the restaurant's "Space Aliens Helping Earthlings" program

FARGO, N.D. — Space Aliens Grill & Bar in Fargo is giving back to the community, one local cause at a time. It’s hosting a benefit for Jeff Maddock. The Fargo man is fighting a rare form of leukemia. All day today, if you eat at Space Aliens and show the Jeff Maddock Benefit letter on Facebook or Twitter, the…

LIVE: Out of the Darkness Walk

Finding a little light to lead your way out of the darkness.

It’s a difficult subject, and a dark place to find yourself in. And strange as it may seem, to some people, talking about suicidal thoughts and mental health struggles may be almost as scary as actually going through them. That’s why, for years now, the activists from Out of the Darkness Fargo-Moorhead area walk have been working to save lives…

Lutheran Church and Jewish Synagogue Come Together to Promote Religious Tolerance

Temple Beth El and St. Mark's have been using the same worship space for the past month

FARGO, N.D. — Old and young. Strangers and family. Jewish and Christian. Temple Beth El Synagogue is bringing people of different backgrounds together under one roof. “St. Mark’s has been kind of a wandering people of faith over the past six years, and members of Temple Beth El invited us to share a space with them,” said St. Mark’s Lutheran…

Former, Longtime Co-owner of Tastee Freez Battling Rare Diagnosis

His family is asking for the public's help in getting him the treatment he needs

MOORHEAD, Minn. — Julian Elofson and his ex–wife Fern owned Moorhead’s Tastee Freez for 28 years. But they weren’t the first Elofson’s to serve up some ice cream there. “When I was 17, I worked there and then my sister started working with me. Then some point in that, the owners put it up for sale. I came home and…

Fundraiser Spreads Awareness About Genetic Disorder NF

There is currently no cure for NF, a genetic disorder affecting millions of people

MOORHEAD, MINN. — Neurofibromatosis, or NF, is a genetic disorder affecting millions of people worldwide. It creates tumors throughout the body, potentially causing health issues like pressure on nerves and organs. Right now, there is no cure for NF, but the Children’s Tumor Foundation wants to change that. Dozens showed up to The Shine a Light NF Walk in…

It’s Been 100 Years Since Women’s Suffrage

a local group is celebrating with a centennial party and pie social

MOORHEAD, Minn. — It’s been 100 years since women were given the right to vote in the 19th amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Over the next year and a half, the Historical and Cultural Society of Clay County and the League of Women Voters will have all kinds of events to celebrate Women’s Suffrage. This afternoon it began the…

Kids Get Active In Inter Gym Competition

Kids put there skills to the test in obstacle run.

FARGO, N.D. –Kids are putting their skills to the test in an obstacle course like this wall run…….. And it’s not as easy as it looks. The goal is all about getting kids active. “With screen time nowadays anything that can get anyone out of the house active in a basically an extreme gym. Ya gotta take that,” Manager of…

Return Of The Rivalry: Bison and Fighting Hawk Fans Celebrate Game Day

Fans from across the region came together to share in friendly rivalry

FARGO, N.D. — It’s been four years since the Bison and the Fighting Hawks have faced off against each other. For the return of the rivalry, fans embraced a cold morning to tailgate before the game. For one group of grillers, it didn’t stop them from firing up. “Ya know the comradery getting to see all your old friends, a…

Hoeven Announces New Program To Help Veterans

FARGO, N.D. — Veterans from all branches packed into the West Fargo VFW to voice their opinion on healthcare and the Fargo VA while sharing experiences, and there was a lot of expectations from the talks. “As a community veteran, it’s important that we keep on the VA doing, the senators and legislative representative out looking making their following through…