State senators share their reaction after the Supreme Court struck down President Trump’s tariffs

FARGO, N.D. (KVRR) — In a major ruling, the Supreme Court has ruled against President Trump’s imposition of tariffs under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. Chief Justice John Roberts said those words cannot bear such weight.

“I don’t think it’s a big surprise. We anticipated that there would be probably some of the tariff activity struck down by the Supreme Court. So I believe the administration has been planning for that,” said Sen. John Hoeven.

President Trump enacted the IEEPA on April 5, with a 10% tariff on all countries. The tariffs were in addition to others he had implemented earlier in the year. And since the implementation, more than $200 billion has been paid. Minnesota Senator Tina Smith responded to the decision made by the Supreme Court, calling the tariffs illegal.

“The President abused his power to make a complete mess of our trade systems, and regular people and small businesses paid the price.”

While Senator Amy Klobuchar shared similar sentiments,

“To strengthen our economy, we must provide our small business owners and farmers with more certainty – not trade wars that raise prices for consumers and shut out American businesses from export markets.”

The court did not say whether the federal government should provide refunds to importers who have paid tariffs. But for many AG producers who have shown concerns with tariffs, Sen. Hoeven hopes the administration can find better trade terms.

“They have the capacity to not only feed America, but to feed countries all over the world, and we want to make sure that they have the best possible opportunity to do just that,” said Hoeven.

In response to the Supreme Court’s ruling, President Trump has imposed a 10% global tariff on top of tariffs already in place. He said, “We have a right to do pretty much what we want to do.”

Categories: Local News, Minnesota News, North Dakota News, Politics / Elections