Two Lake Acesses Open After Blue-Green Algae Advisory

A dog died after drinking water from Lake Ashtabula.

That set off a blue–green algae advisory.

Blue–Green Algae is harmful for both humans and pets and it has campers concerned.

“It was on my Facebook too, my daughter in law put it on, and my son told us before we left home too,” says Kathy Fleischfresser,visiting from Enderlin.

The North Dakota Department of Health put out a public advisory to avoid waters.

“A serious consequence is death. If somebody were to ingest the water. Or pet or livestock,” says Mike Ell, from the Environmental Health Section at the North Dakota Department of Health.

The bacteria build up happens in hot weather where waters are used recreationally.

 The problem is localized, so not everybody in the county needs to be worried.

“I just want people to know that so it’s not that green painty, green paint type of solution on the entire lake. There’s just certain places on the lake where that happens,”Richard Schueneman, US Army Corps of Engineering.

And they’re easily identifiable.

“It also has a distinct kind of repulsive smell as it’s dying and decomposing,” Ell says.

But for Kathy’s four legged family member, it’s not worth the risk.

“We’re keeping her clear of the water, not taking her down there. She loves to go fetch things if we put it in but nope not this time, no,” Fleischfresser says.

Wind helps cycle the water and lessens the condition as time passes.

Two of the four lake access points are now open including Mel Rieman Recreation and East Ashtabula Crossing.

Categories: Video