Dorm Room Fire At UND Started By Unattended Candle

Students Tried To Put Out Fire With Wet Towel

GRAND FORKS, N.D. — An unattended candle was the cause of a fire at Walsh Hall at UND on March 2.

A fire investigation found that the candle ignited a towel and cardboard nearby and the flames set off the fire alarm and sprinkler system.

Students tried to put the fire out with a wet towel before calling the fire department.

The sprinkler heads ended up putting the fire out.

Damage to the building is estimated at $35,000 with $500 of personal contents lost.

Categories: Local News, News Landing Page, North Dakota News