Vitalant Seeking Convalescent Plasma Donors
BISMARCK, N.D.–Vitalant and the North Dakota Department of Health are asking anyone who previously tested positive for COVID-19 to donate plasma.
The plasma from previously infected individuals is being used as an investigational treatment for COVID-19 patients.
NDDoH field medical officer Dr. Joan Connell says, “There have already been a few cases in North Dakota where convalescent plasma treatment has proven beneficial for patients infected with COVID-19. This is a unique opportunity for someone who has recovered from COVID-19 to potentially save a life.”
Convalescent plasma donors must have previously tested positive for COVID-19 and meet the following criteria:
- Have a prior diagnosis of COVID-19 documented by a laboratory test
- Experienced complete resolution of symptoms for at least 14 days with a subsequently negative COVID-19 test or complete resolution of symptoms for at least 28 days
- Meet all other donor eligibility for an automated plasma donation, including:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Weigh at least 110 pounds
- Be in good general health
Anyone interested in donating plasma should contact their physician or visit: vitalant.org/covidfree.