Fire

UPDATED: Marshall County Sheriff Asking Evacuees to Find a Safe Place to Stay

Witnesses say the building is a total loss

Courtesy: Dorie Norekis  UPDATE: Marshall County Sheriff Jason Boman confirms that multiple people have been displaced from their homes around the Nordic Fiberglass building in Warren, Minnesota. He posted an update on the official Facebook page for the sheriff’s office asking people who have been asked to leave their homes need to find a place to stay because they don’t…

Bison Turf Owner Gets Permit to Begin Nearly Million Dollar Rebuild Project

Pete Sabo says three-quarters of the building will need to come down before the process can begin.

  The owner of an iconic Fargo bar, heavily damaged by fire last summer, has finally received a permit to rebuild. Pete Sabo says he was determined to rebuild the Bison Turf near NDSU after the July 22 fire which started in the attic and was caused by repair work. Sabo says the new plan, meeting new code requirements and…

Police: Wisconsin Man Dies Trying to Blow Up Apartment Building

Police say 44-year-old Joseph Zunker called dispatch threatening to blow up his apartment building

  Police say a man in a small northwestern Wisconsin community was killed after he followed through on his threat to bomb his apartment building. Joseph Zunker, 44, called dispatch late last night and said he had a bomb. As officers tried to make contact with Zunker, he threatened to blow everyone up. He eventually set off the bomb and…

911 Dispatcher Answers Daughter’s Call for Help

Layla Wray says her family's home is a total loss and the family is currently staying in a hotel until they can find a new place

  An emergency dispatcher in Madisonville, Texas answered a call for help she never expected to get. Layla Wray says she tried to stay in “dispatcher mode” when she recognized the address and the voice of her 14-year-old daughter on the other end of the phone. Wray’s house was quickly going up in flames. She says she tried to keep…

Long-Time Mayville Businessman Dies in House Fire

Authorities say Alan Strand died after trying to get out of the house

A longtime businessman was the victim of a fatal house fire in Mayville. Authorities say 64-year-old Alan Strand, the owner of Strand Ready Mix, died in the house fire Saturday morning. They say it appears Strand attempted to make his way out of the house, but didn’t make it. The fire chief says there were some strange burn patterns. A…

Fargo Hotel Fire Causes Early Morning Evacuation

Fargo Fire Department quickly put the small fire out.

The Vista Inn & Suites was briefly evacuated after a small fire around 4:25 a.m. this morning. Fargo Firefighters were called to the hotel at 1340 21st Avenue South. When they arrived smoke could be seen on the second floor. A small fire in the utility room was quickly put out. The building occupants were all out of the hotel and…

Clearing Ice from Your Home: Blowtorch Not Recommended

After two house fires in the area, fire officials are asking homeowners to be careful when removing ice from your home

Clearing snow and ice off your house is something that naturally comes with the brutal winter season. What some people may not realize is that the fire can creep through walls, under doors or any openings and create a much bigger problem than just the ice. Two houses….one week. Firefighters have had to put fires at two separate locations after…

Ring in the New Year with Fireworks in North Dakota

Since 2012, North Dakotans have been able to ring in the New Year with fireworks

Memory Fireworks tells KVRR that every year, more and more people walk through their doors. They say there’s something magical about experiencing fireworks in the winter. “The fireworks reflect off the snow,” said David Reuter with Memory Fireworks. “Things are louder and more colorful.” If you’re a North Dakota resident, you can only buy fireworks twice a year, from June 27th…

Fire Crews Respond to Another House Fire Caused by a Blowtorch

For the second time in a week, fire crews respond to a fire caused by a blowtorch

For the second time in a week, fire crews respond to a fire caused by a blowtorch. “If you’re going to use a torch, don’t get too close to the side of your house, ” said Captain Todd Church with the Moorhead Fire Department. Firefighters responded to 307 4th Street South around 5:15 when the siding of the house caught on…

Rural West Fargo House Fire Caused by Blowtorch

Firefighters responded after a man caused a fire while using a blowtorch to de-ice parts of his home.

WEST FARGO, N.D. Firefighters say a man using a blowtorch to melt ice on his rural West Fargo house set it on fire. West Fargo and Harwood Fire Departments responded to the home at 6425 13th Street North after receiving reports of smoke coming from the walls. Firefighters say the fire was a deep seeded smolder burning the insides of…